Marriage Counseling NY, Couples Counseling NY, Psychotherapy NY and Family Counseling New York
Marriages and other relationships aren't perfect. Each person brings his or her own ideas, values, opinions and personal history into a relationship, and they don't always match their partner's. Those differences mean that your relationship is bound for misunderstanding, frustration and conflict. On the other hand, these differences can be complementary and help people understand, respect and accept different and at times opposing views and cultures. At Marriage Counseling NY you will be helped to understand and relate your differences and similiarities to each other in ways to strengthen and enrich your marriage
Relationships can be very trying. Differences or habits that you once found endearing may grate on your nerves after time together. Sometimes specific issues, such as an extramarital affair, loss of sexual attraction and physical abuse may trigger problems in a relationship. Other times, there's a gradual disintegration of communication and caring. Helping to recognize and repair these wounds and misalignments is our goal at Couples Counseling NY
No matter the cause, distress in a relationship can create undue stress, tension, sadness, worry, fear, rage and other problems. You may hope that your relationship troubles just go away on their own and that “time will heal all wounds” but sadly left to fester, a bad relationship may only worsen and eventually lead to physical or psychological problems, such as depression. A bad relationship can also create problems on the job and affect other family members or even friendships as people feel compelled to take sides.In Family Counseling New York we help you to constructively confront these troubles and find more effective solutions for dealing with them.
Here are typical issues that Couples Counseling NY or marriagecounselingNewYork can help you and a spouse or partner cope with:
- Substance abuse
- Physical or mental conditions
- Same-sex relationship issues
- Cultural clashes
- Blended families
- Adoption families
- Communication problems
- Sexual difficulties
- Conflicts about child rearing
- Changing roles, such as retirement
For more than 30 years, the divorce rate in the United States has remained at around 50 percent for first marriages. The divorce rate for second marriages is even higher. And even among people who stay married, the number who describe themselves as happy, according to researchers, is only about 50 percent.
· Research has shown repeatedly that the quality of a couple’s communication about problems is the single factor that best distinguishes happy from unhappy marriages and committed relationships. The ability to communicate well also is the best indicator of relationship satisfaction and stability over time. In other words, it is not the number of problems a couple experiences, individual personalities or differences of opinion that distinguish happy from unhappy relationships. Instead, it is how couples talk about their problems and differences. Communication is the key, and communication skills can be learned.
· In Couples Counseling NY, whether for married couples or those in committed relationships, couples learn how to identify destructive forms of communication and how to develop effective communication and problem-solving techniques. Couples learn how to use their creativity and resources to preserve the strength of their relationship while meeting the challenges that life brings.
· Dr. Katz at Couples Counseling NY, helps couples — married or not — understand and resolve conflicts and improve their relationship. Dr. Katz gives couples the tools to communicate better, negotiate differences, problem solve and even argue in a healthier way.
· Couples Counseling NY can be short term. You may need only a few sessions to help you weather a crisis. Or you may need couples counseling for several months, particularly if your relationship has greatly deteriorated. As with individual psychotherapy, you typically see a marriage counselor or therapist once a week.
· You don't need to have a troubled relationship to seek therapy. Marriage counseling NY can also help couples who simply want to strengthen their bonds and gain a better understanding of each other. Marriage counseling NY can also help couples who plan to get married. This pre-marriage counseling can help you achieve a deeper understanding of each other and iron out differences before a union is sealed.
· You don't need to have a troubled relationship to seek therapy. Marriage Counseling NY can also help couples who simply want to strengthen their bonds and gain a better understanding of each other. And premarital counseling New York can also help couples who plan to get married. This premarital counseling New York can help you achieve a deeper understanding of each other and iron out differences before a union is sealed.
Call Dr. Ronald Katz for a free fifteen minute phone consultation now
Relationship Tied Up In Knots with Criticsm & Blame? It doesn't have to Be That Way! Couples Counseling NY Helps